Historic Health Reform Bill Now Law, Key Provisions Strengthen Safety Net
On March 23, 2010, President Barack Obama signed H.R. 3590 the Patient Protection and Affordability Act into law, ensuring that nearly 32 million uninsured Americans will receive health coverage.
The following provisions are of particular note to ACU members:
- Provides $11 billion for Community Health Center (CHC) expansion beginning in 2011
- Includes $1.5 billion for the National Health Service Corps over 5 years for 15,000 new primary care providers
- Expands Medicaid to 133% of federal poverty level
- Authorizes a new Title VII for the development of residency programs at CHCs
- Establishes a new Title III program with $230 million for community-based entities that operate teaching programs
ACU applauds President Obama, his Administration and the Members of the 111th Congress who succeeded in crafting this legislation and garnering the votes to pass it. We also thank advocates all across America who worked tirelessly to ensure that health care reform would become a reality.
ACU Health Reform Poll
The ACU Health Reform Poll has officially closed. Thank you for your participation. For updates on health reform implementation, follow ACU on Facebook.
Health Care Reform Quick Links
Bookmark these helpful resources for details on the law. (From the Kaiser Family Foundation unless otherwise noted)
- Summary of health reform law
- Implementation timeline
- Summary of coverage provisions
- Health reform subsidy calculator
- Changes to Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Benefit
- Changes to Medicaid and CHIP in health reform law
- State by state impact of health reform law – Families USA
- A Consumer’s Guide to Health Reform – Consumer Reports
- Health reform and Medicare – The Medicare Rights Center