Join the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) on Thursday, May 1, 2014, from 2:00 – 3:30 p.m. EDT, for EPA’s Closing the Gap: Addressing Asthma Disparities in Schools webinar.
This webinar will showcase how two innovative programs (Los Angeles Unified School District and the Pediatric/Adult Asthma Coalition of New Jersey) reduced asthma disparities in their school systems through a comprehensive, partnership-based approach to promote indoor air quality management. Both leaders will discuss the ways in which their programs are grounded in EPA’s Indoor Air Quality Tools for Schools guidance.
This webinar will feature successful programs from both the East and West Coasts:
- The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD), a school district with about 650,000 students, has served more than 2,000 students with asthma and their families. The program successfully reduced the number of ER visits and hospitalizations and increased school attendance rates while addressing diverse cultural and socio-economic disparities.
- The Pediatric/Adult Asthma Coalition of New Jersey (PACNJ) focuses on reduction in asthma in the state of New Jersey and has created a unified method of care for asthma among 70 members on six task forces. Their program engages schools, physicians, health insurance companies, community groups and environmental agencies to promote asthma friendly environments in inner city districts.
Attend this webinar to:
- Gain insight into how one school district and one asthma coalition used proactive IAQ management to improve asthma outcomes in schools.
- Discover best-practices and cutting-edge strategies to reduce asthma disparities through comprehensive asthma management in the school environment.
- Learn how to use EPA’s Indoor Air Quality Tools for Schools Action Kit and Framework to help put what you learn into action.
- Interact with expert speakers through instant polling and a Question & Answer session, hosted on AsthmaCommunityNetwork.org.
- Yolanda Cuevas, Los Angeles Unified School District
- Teresa Lampmann, The Pediatric/Adult Asthma Coalition of New Jersey
- Sheila Brown, U.S. EPA, Indoor Environments Division
Don’t miss your chance to have your questions answered during the webinar. Please post your questions in the Discussion Forum on AsthmaCommunityNetwork.org. Questions will be answered online in the Discussion Forum from 3:00 – 3:30 p.m. EDT during the Q&A Session.
Please note: This webinar will last approximately 60 minutes and the Q&A session will last approximately 30 minutes. You will need a high-speed Internet connection and a telephone line to interact with speakers and other participants. Call-in information will be provided upon registration.