A new report from the Institute of Medicine confirms that obesity is more prevalent in low-income communities – where most ACU members practice. The report, Accelerating Progress in Obesity Prevention: Solving the Weight of the Nation, calls for coordinated action to
- Integrate physical activity every day in every way
- Market what matters for a healthy life
- Make healthy foods and beverages available everywhere
- Activate employers and health care professionals
- Strengthen schools as the heart of health
ACU’s 2012 prevention wall calendar emphasizes the same messages as the IOM report, namely, daily exercise, eliminating sugary drinks, eating healthy foods, and filling half your plate with vegetables and fruits. Our prevention webpage offers resources for implementing these changes for you and your patients.
One of the most important lessons in the IOM report is that neither health care providers, nor schools, nor employers can do it all alone, but together our effects will be reinforced, amplified, and maximized. ACU is on board. Let us know what you are doing to stem the obesity epidemic.